It’s
been a tough weekend. Cam got home from
a week underway on Friday, only to be notified that the ships were all
sorteeing (meaning leaving port to avoid the hurricane) first thing Saturday
morning. Given his current schedule,
this would have meant he’d be gone ‘til Thanksgiving, with only Friday night at
home. I have to admit: I was just barely
holding it together before the sortee order, and once that hit I couldn’t keep
the tears at bay. When it rains, it
pours, and wow, it pours a lot lately! Thankfully,
the sortee was canceled at the last minute, and I was able to pick Cam up at
lunchtime Saturday and have a blessed few more days with him home.
Friday
marked 30 weeks in my pregnancy, and only 10 weeks until our little girl is
due. I wish I could say that I’m looking
forward to January 3rd, that I’m ready to be done with pregnancy and have her
here already, like I hear so many other pregnant women saying. But
the truth is that I am terrified. I lie
still, focused on feeling her moving inside, with a desperation for it to be
this way forever. Absolute desperation.
I want to do only this, every hour of
every day for the next 9 weeks. I don’t
want this time to end. I feel her every
movement, I know when she wakes and sleeps, I eat for her, my heart beats for
her. I know her. And all the
sacrifices I will make for the sake of her life… feel worth it.
My greatest fear is losing her. And while she’s here inside, I feel like
she’s mine to keep, although I know that’s not necessarily the truth. I’m afraid that once she’s born, I won’t be
able to hold her again for far too long.
I’m afraid of the pain she will have, the needle sticks, her lying alone
in her isolette, hurting, when I can’t pick her up and comfort her. My heart aches for all she will have to
endure, and the million times I’ll wish I could take all of her suffering on
myself.
As
I read Psalm 139, which I now know as our little one’s chapter, I am amazed
that these feelings I have for my little girl are the same ones my God has for
me. Only he knows and loves me so much
more deeply and perfectly than I can imagine.
“O Lord,
you have searched me and you know me. You
know when I sit and when I rise; you
perceive my thoughts from afar. You
discern my going out and my lying down; you
are familiar with all my ways. Before a
word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord. You
hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.”
As
my heart aches for my precious little one, so must my heavenly father’s heart
ache for me. Why is it so hard sometimes to cast all my
fears and burdens on Him, and let him care for me? I won’t be able to take them from our little
girl, but He can take them from me! Exodus
14:14 says “The LORD will fight for you,
you need only to be still.” God, help me to be still and trust you.
Hi Autumn!
ReplyDeleteFollowing your Journey. Thank you for the honor! I have posted where I can read it daily and take comfort in this: The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not Protect you.
Keeping You, Baby Cupcake and Cameron close to my heart and in my Prayers.
Love,
Teresa
Hey Autumn,
ReplyDeleteYour blog is so beautiful! You know your whole neighborhood can't wait to meet Cupcake! With all these boys in the 'hood, we definitely need some more girl energy! If Cam is going to be gone a lot, please let us help step up and pull out your trash or have you for dinner or...anything! xoxo
Autumn, I am so happy to hear that you got a few more days with Cam. Your faith and honesty bring tears to my eyes. I am so proud to call you a friend and your blog further reflects the goodness of God in the amazing gift he has given to cupcake of such wonderful parents.
ReplyDeleteAutumn, I'm sorry I didn't read this one sooner. I was thinking about you with the storm and was praying for you. I'm so thankful that your area wasn't hard hit. I kept meaning to call. This post brought me to tears as well. It's so beautifully written. I can imagine you lying there thinking those thoughts. I'm praying for you almost daily (it should be daily), my friend. I miss you and love you.
ReplyDelete