At
church on Sunday, we sang an old hymn that I have always loved and that has now
played on repeat for days. There’s
something about the beautiful words of surrender and the admission of my deep
need and longing for things that this world cannot fulfill. It paints a perfect picture of my Savior,
with open arms, offering shelter, comfort, and healing balm for all my earthly
sorrows and soul’s deepest wounds and weaknesses. In these days of fear and desperation, what
else can I do but shamble to the only one who can soothe my broken heart?
Out of
my bondage, sorrow and night,
Jesus,
I come, Jesus, I come;
Into
Thy freedom, gladness, and light,
Jesus,
I come to Thee;
Out of
my sickness, into Thy health,
Out of
my want and into Thy wealth,
Out of
my sin and into Thyself,
Jesus,
I come to Thee.
Out of
my shameful failure and loss,
Jesus,
I come, Jesus, I come;
Into
the glorious gain of Thy cross,
Jesus,
I come to Thee;
Out of
earth’s sorrows, into Thy balm,
Out of
life’s storms and into Thy calm,
Out of
distress to jubilant psalm,
Jesus,
I come to Thee.
Out of
unrest and arrogant pride,
Jesus,
I come, Jesus, I come;
Into
Thy blessed will to abide,
Jesus,
I come to Thee;
Out of
myself to dwell in Thy love,
Out of
despair, into raptures above,
Upward
forever on wings like a dove,
Jesus,
I come to Thee.
Out of
the fear and dread of the tomb,
Jesus,
I come, Jesus, I come;
Into
the joy and light of Thy throne,
Jesus,
I come to Thee;
Out of
the depths of ruin untold,
Into
the peace of Thy sheltering fold,
Ever
Thy glorious face to behold,
Jesus,
I come to Thee.
I imagine I will be singing these words as I sit with my precious baby in the days to come, and I imagine that they will be familiar and comforting for her, too.
Jesus, I come to Thee.
No comments:
Post a Comment