Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Notes on Pregnancy


I can’t believe there are only 8 days left in my pregnancy!!!  I have mixed emotions going into this coming week because I’m both eager to meet my little one and afraid to let her leave the safety of my womb.  I am really going to miss this, having her so close to me at all times.  Never again will she be as near to me physically as she is at this moment.  I’m still not ready for this.

And pregnancy is not making it any easier to wish for December 27th to come quickly.  I know that what’s coming will be even better, but pregnancy itself has just been so wonderful for me, physically speaking.  I count myself one of the lucky few who can honestly say that; and I realize that many women don’t enjoy the process nearly as much thanks to the not-so-lovely side effects that often come with it.  But I’ve really been blessed to have an easy 38 weeks.  No morning sickness to really complain about, no significant pains or discomforts.  A few days of an aching back here, a bit of sleepiness there, but overall, I’ve felt waaaaay better during pregnancy than I ever did before it!  I almost feel guilty when I read my pregnancy books and they say things like “You’re 34 weeks along now.  You’re probably feeling exhausted/your back is killing you/you’re not getting any sleep/you’re constipated/your ankles are swollen up like Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade balloons (along with your face)/you can hardly take a deep breath/your baby has his foot uncomfortably lodged in your ribs/your heartburn is out of control, (etc.).”  Ummm, or none of the above!!   

There are so many awesome things about being pregnant, even beyond the movement you get to feel and the sheer fact that there is a baby in there!  This big belly is glorious, if I do say so myself.  I’ve always thought women who were “great with child” (I love that phrase) were absolutely beautiful, and I feel beautiful, maybe more than I ever have, even being as big as a boat.  And people tell you how cute you are all the time, which is quite the ego boost. Having an amazing miracle growing inside is the most delightful feeling ever.  It gives me a new understanding of Michelle Duggar.  21 kids (or something)?  Bring it.  (Ha, just kidding.)  Who cares about abs of steel?  If you have a baby inside, you never have to suck it in!  People just understand.  You get special privileges, like using the private bathrooms in shops that don’t have customer restrooms.  Strangers treat you like you’re someone special by moving out of your way, or carrying things for you, or smiling knowingly at you and wishing you well.  A pregnant belly is an open invitation for conversation from passersby, and for speculation about the gender of your baby because of how huge you are or how low you are or how big your butt has gotten.  Thankfully most people are kind. 

But you know what perplexes me?  I always heard that strangers try to rub your pregnant belly, and that you practically have to beat them off with a stick.  But so far, I’ve only gotten one stranger rub.  It’s funny, because early on, I decided that strangers rubbing my belly really wouldn’t bother me (unless of course they were extra creepy strangers).  That instead I’d let it be sweet (safe from germs) love from the outside world for my special baby, somewhat as compensation for the funny looks or comments she may get from strangers once she’s born looking noticeably different.  But no strangers have really approached to rub the belly.  I almost feel cheated.  Maybe the fact that I’m clearly thrusting my belly in their general direction with a “pet my belly” look in my crazy eyes in order to garner a rub weirds people out… 

I know that God has removed common pregnancy ailments from me, and for that, and everything else, I am so very thankful.  He’s blessed me with feeling fantastic this whole time so that I could focus on truly enjoying every moment of carrying our miracle baby.   And I have savored these days, these precious moments that have shaped me into my little girl’s mother.  I’ve slowed down and stopped walking in the middle of the hardware store, and closed my eyes, just to feel her moving.  I’ve held her with intention from the moment I knew that our time together could be fleeting.  And every day of this time has been beautiful.  And every beautiful day, passing ever so quickly, brings us one day closer to her.    

A picture taken this week by my sweet friend, Jessica.  

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Autumn! I felt the same way. That's why we have five!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree that pregnancy suits you! Cupcake and you are just beautiful! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look amazing Autumn! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful thoughts. I am praying for your delivery and wisdom for the doctors each step of the way.

    You are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete